Many great activities and family events available this upcoming weekend, the days are starting to get a little bit longer, which gives us even more time to enjoy what Winnipeg has to offer.
Twice a year Spring Curbside Giveaway Weekends are held in Winnipeg, the next one will take place on Saturday, May 11 and Sunday, May 12, 2019.
You’ll often find some items in good condition that you’ll never use again. Rather than throw them away, Giveaway Weekend gives you the opportunity to find new owners for those items.
If You’re Giving Away Items:
- Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
- Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
- Store items out of sight that you don’t want to give away.
- Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday.
Examples of giveaway items include:
- books, CDs, and DVDs
- furniture, electronics, and small appliances
- sports equipment and toys
- yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow blowers, rakes, shovels)
- kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots, and pans
- unwanted gifts
- construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
Do not put out:
- items that could be unsafe
- items infested with bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
- toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
If You’re Looking For Giveaway Items:
- Take only the items at the curb marked “FREE.”
- Check all items closely to ensure they are safe and in good condition before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home.
- Don’t walk or drive on private lawns or gardens.
- Don’t discard any items on private property.
- Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally or block driveways with your vehicle).
- Watch out for children.
Another curbside Giveaway Weekend will take place in the Fall.
All Winnipeggers know about such giveaways that are held twice a year. You can really find stuff you need or just some cool things and pieces of décor, but what really makes a difference is clothing, so people in need are able to find things they really will appreciate.