Many residential fires occur because of the tenant's fault or negligence of fire safety and common sense. But, sometimes, it is just an accident.
A fire in the city's West End has left a number of homes and other property damaged.
The Fire Department received a call about a fire in the rear of a home in the 500 block of Agnes Street just before 8:30 a.m. Monday. Fire crews were able to get the blaze under control quickly, but not before it spread to five neighbouring homes and garages. The fire was declared under control at 8:46 a.m.
Crews conducted a search of the structure where the fire originated and no occupants were found. Neighbouring homes were evacuated as a precaution. No one was injured.
As of now, there is no official statement from the Fire Department on a cause of the fire, the investigation still continues.
Fire Chief Mark Reshaur says not enough people have evacuation plans for their own homes.
It is always better to be prepared before anything happen because in a critical situation most people can’t think clearly and make bad decisions. But a trained person, someone who has a plan for the emergency like house fire and other, will most likely to remain calm and just follow the protocol, simply follow the instruction step by step.