Apartment on fire near Grant Park Mall

Apartment on fire near Grant Park Mall

A residential fire is always a scary and dangerous thing, people might get hurt or killed, especially children and elderly citizens since they are not able to react fast and evacuate the building by themselves. Quite often people need help to get outside and do not get hurt or affected by smoke.

Just yesterday, February 11th a fire occurred in at 1305 Taylor Ave., near the Grant Park Mall.

Flames were seen billowing out of a suite on the ninth floor of the building and firefighters were called just after 7 a.m. Three people were sent to the hospital in stable condition, said fire officials at the scene. City officials said people will be able to return to their apartments once they’re done ventilating and mopping up the building.

No other injuries were reported, everyone else managed to safely escape and get outside. The City of Winnipeg is asking people to avoid the area.

Just a week ago another residential fire happened in Winnipeg. A residential fire occurred at a 17-storey building in the 500-block of St. Mary Avenue, approximately at 2:40 p.m.

Firefighters found the blaze on the 14th floor and called for backup, declaring it a two-alarm fire. Rescue crews were able to contain the fire to a single suite, declaring it under control half an hour after arriving. The suite suffered serious damage from the flames, as well as from smoke and water.

Residents on three floors were evacuated as crews battled the fire, and the lone occupant of the affected suite was sent to a hospital in unstable condition.

Unfortunately, residential fires in Winnipeg happen quite often, but unlike in this case, caused by the electrical problem, many of those fires caused by residents, who in many cases were under drug influence at a time of incidents.